Thursday, March 17, 2011

:: Faithfulness Fruit ::

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control..." - Galatians 5:22-23

If you read this blog at all you most likely know that we have been walking through the fruits of the Spirit. So far we have covered LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GOODNESS and now we are adding FAITHFULNESS to the mix.
I found defining faithfulness to my kids to be a bit tricky. Most of the time I try to talk to the kids about these things in the 'every day' while we are playing or on walks. If I try to have a proper 'sit down/learning' time with these types of life lessons, they don't want to have much to do with it.

After weeks of talking it through here and there and trying to word things in ways that I thought would make sense to them regarding faithfulness, I didn't seem to be getting anywhere. We talked about all of the things that faithfulness can mean and what it means to us. However this morning while on a walk, Analise reminded me of the most simple, poignant definition - the first thing I said when we began to tackle the idea of faithfulness. It was also the reminder that I needed to hear today.

I had just finished briefly reminding Analise and Jameson about the Holy Spirit and how through Him we are able to have faithfulness:

Me: "So Analise, can you tell me what faithfulness means?"
A: "Mooooooom, you make things so long and hard."
Me: "Um, that's not my intention, I am trying to help you understand."
A: "I do understand. You use too many words to say that God always keeps his promises. You said it a long time ago. That is what faithfulness means - that God always keeps his promises."
Me: "Uh...um...yeah, you're right."
Jameson: "Mommy, Lisi's RIGHT!"
Me: "Thanks Jameson."
Awesome. I just got schooled by my kids (in a good way of course). The concepts and lessons we can learn about from the fruit of the Spirit are not complicated. They don't need to be long and drawn out. That's not how God intended life with Him to be. It's simple really - if we have the Spirit within us then we have the ability to produce the fruit of the Spirit. The important thing is yielding to the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to work through us, not to rely on our own abilities.

Here is the list of things that Analise came up with to write on the back of her fruit:
I have been having a tough time lately, mainly in the area of parenting. Feelings of inadequacy, failure, feeling at a complete loss of how to parent these kids in the best way possible. Hearing from my kids more of what I am doing wrong as opposed to what I am doing right, etc. As I talked with Analise and Jameson about faithfulness today, I was reminded that even when times seem hard and I'm not so sure about things, the most important thing is to remain faithful, because God is faithful in all things. I am not supposed to do this parenting thing on my own! Phew!

And while it isn't all sunshine and roses here every day, today was a great day for remembering God's faithfulness. After our walk, while in Costco we saw a picture of a rainbow (with a pot of gold at the end) commemorating St. Patrick's Day. Analise loudly exclaimed, "Mom! Look! A rainbow! That is God's promise to never flood the earth again. God always keeps His promises because He is faithful!"

Yes. Yes He is.
Next up: GENTLENESS

5 comments:

Stef said...

love this!

DiscoveringMommy said...

Nini, Such a beautiful lesson! You are such an inspiration to us Mommies out there trying to teach our children "in the way they should go!" Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

Nini,
I am praying for God to continue to show you little blessings like this, to confirm to you that you are a good & faithful mother! Be encouraged! You are doing a good work. We can see fruit of your loving labor in your children.
Ani is right! God is faithful. :)

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace dale tuck

Stephanie said...

You are such an awesome mother, Nini!

Thanks for keeping it real here on your blog. We are having some parenting struggles as well...trying to figure out how to circumvent whining, teach thankfulness, be better examples, etc.

I'm so glad that God's grace covers us all.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net