Friday, July 2, 2010

:: Love Fruit ::

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control..." - Galatians 5:22-23

We have been doing a series on the fruit of the Spirit at our church. I try to be intentional about the things that I teach my kids, so I decided to work on helping them learn these fruits of the Spirit in a real and tangible way at home.

A few weeks ago, we started with the first fruit - LOVE.
We spent the whole week talking about what love really means, what it means to be loved and how we can show love to others - those we know and those we don't know. It has been such a neat experience to walk through this with Analise and to see her putting it into action. I am constantly amazed and humbled by how easily children 'get it'.

One day, without my prompting, she wanted to talk about what love really meant. She said, "Love is giving something really special away. Is there another word for that?" to which I replied, "Sacrifice." "Yeah, sacrifice. I want to sacrifice something favorite so I can show love." She spent the next 20 minutes in her room, going through her things and excitedly decided that to show love she was going to "sacrifice her super bear for Maddy to have for her birthday". I asked her if she really wanted to give her very special super bear away and she emphatically replied, "YES! Let's go wrap it!" Followed by, "Mom, take a picture of my loving!"
As we talked about love throughout the week she came up with a summary of what love means and how we show love. We made our first 'fruit' and wrote the list on the back. The list looks something like this:
Since this list was made she continues to come up with ways to show and give love to people - drawing pictures, giving flowers, wanting to offer her bed to the kids in Haiti, praying for friends. It is so special to see her growing and learning some of the most important things in life. And Jameson is learning too. He will walk up to me, hand me something and say, "yuv, yuv, yuv".
Next up: JOY

5 comments:

Erin said...

That is so sweet! And so inspiring, too. Thanks for sharing the way you are purposing to teach your youngies!

meaningfulmothering said...

I love the little heart fruit you made, nice to have visual reminders of things we learn.

Steph said...

I was coming to say the same thing as Erin! so precious and inspiring indeed. thank you Nini!

Stephanie said...

What a wonderful idea, Nini! We may have to "steal" it.

You are such an awesome mama - creative, kind, encouraging, and generous. Analise and Jameson certainly don't have to look very far to find a beautiful example of love - YOU!

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

casual friday every day said...

This is all such a great idea to do with the kids...and so much fun to read!

Nell