Sunday, April 8, 2012

:: Resurrection ::

It's been two and a half months since my last blog post. Rarely a day went by when I didn't think about posting something - but as you can see, I didn't do it. The days continued to pass and the blog posts continued to fill up in my mind yet I didn't have it in me to make the time to get them on the screen. In the midst of a crazy-busy season of work and life in general, I used the very little free time I did have to focus on my family (my own and those visiting from Germany) and sometimes, to simply not be 'plugged in'. I had to get to a place where I was okay without updating and for my Type-A, slightly (I don't really have it but have tendencies towards it) OCD personality, it didn't come easy.

Needless to say, on this Resurrection Sunday I am resurrecting the blog. If any of you still read this, I am thankful for your patience. It has been a fantastic way to chronicle life as we know it and share it with family and friends and it feels good to be back!

Speaking of Resurrection Sunday, what a fantastic Easter weekend we had! For a few weeks I have been bringing up Easter in our day to day conversation, explaining what it is we really celebrate. My curious children asked some very good questions, especially Analise. 
On Good Friday the kids and I got into craft mode. We began the day with coloring eggs...
When we started coloring eggs the following conversation took place:

Analise: "Why do we color eggs for Easter if we are celebrating what Jesus did for us?"
My reply: "The eggs don't really have anything to do with the real meaning of Easter, but it is something fun that we can do together."
Analise: "Well we can have fun coloring eggs but then can we give them to our neighbors? We can give something away like Jesus gave his life for us right?"
Me: "That's a great idea!"

Seriously, why didn't I think of that? Aren't I supposed to be the one turning fun things into life lessons?

After we finished coloring and decorating our eggs, both kids were eager to give them away. Jameson took his favorite green polka dotted egg and RAN outside to give it to his favorite neighbor, Jackson. Analise gave her pink sticker covered egg, along with a homemade card, to our upstairs neighbors Jimi and Lisa. Using food coloring rather than the little Paas tablets made such a difference with the coloring and the use of some oil pastels before dyeing allowed us to make some fun designs too!
After we colored eggs we made an Easter garden. I have never done this before but it was easy, fun and such a great visual and hands-on experience for all of us. Just a few dollars at home depot and some things from our yard and we had ourselves an Easter garden.

As we created it I was able to once again explain the story of Jesus' crucifixion and the great gift he gave us when he gave his life. We talked about how sad it was that he was treated so horribly and that he had to die in the worst way. We talked about what it means that Jesus took our sins upon himself that day on the cross and the gift of forgiveness that he gives us whenever we ask.
Our garden was small, and somewhat unassuming, probably much more extravagant than the one Jesus was laid in. We wrapped up one of Analise's little dolls in cloth and placed him in the tomb and then rolled the stone over it. The tomb was sealed on Good Friday. We talked about Easter Sunday and what happened on that day. The resurrection. The gift of life that we have been given by Jesus' act on the cross. The fact that he rose and is now living. And we waited.
On Saturday, we had a fantastic family day enjoying the sun and helping Jameson learn to ride his bike without training wheels!

Today, the first thing the kids asked about was when they got to do their Easter egg hunt! Since they woke up way too early, we held them off with some waffles for breakfast and before we sent them out to look for heaps of hidden eggs, we went to check on our Easter garden.
We discovered that the stone had been rolled away!  Analise knew that it was me who rolled the stone away and left the cloth folded in the tomb but the meaning wasn't lost on her at all or on Jameson.  He asked where the wrapped up man was and Analise said, "Jameson, it was supposed to be Jesus and he is risen! He rose from the dead on Easter Sunday so we can live with him forever."  And this evening Jameson wanted to pray before bed (which never happens) and he said, "Thank you Jesus that you rolled the stone away!"

Amen.

So thankful for the Resurrection!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

So glad you're back! :-)

Ashley said...

LOVE IT! And thanks for your awesome suggestion about the Easter garden. We made our own version on Friday, but it didn't look anything like yours. Still, something cool to see the children's faces dawn meaning when Jesus is gone on Sunday morning. Looking forward to your updates, Friend!

Erin said...

awesome! glad you're back. Now it's my turn to resurrect...

Erin said...

Sweet Easter garden, Nini. I love it!!

Stef said...

I love that you're back blogging and I love the resurrection flower pot!! That turned out awesome.

Stephanie said...

Analise and Jameson are amazing kids...and I know precisely why! They have creative, kind, and loving parents. :)

Thanks for the wonderful reminder to celebrate the resurrection - on Easter and every day.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net