Thursday, June 16, 2011

:: Baby Shower Projects ::

Just over three weeks ago I helped throw a baby shower for a close friend who is expecting her second child. It was a small, intimate shower - a time to celebrate the upcoming arrival of a little boy whom we are *so* excited to meet!

When it comes to planning and organizing (or helping plan and organize) a baby shower, something I love doing is making invitations. I started making wedding invitations over ten years ago for my friends as a way for them to save money and a way for me to bless them with a special gift. Now we are in the phase of life when we celebrate the babies that are a result of some of these weddings!

For Shelley's shower I wanted something simple, classic and clean. I found an idea on Tiny Prints that I liked but felt it was a bit lacking so I opened up Adobe Illustrator and created my own little birdies with a nest (representing the family) - something I had never done before. Here is the end result:
We went light on decor - just some lovely calla lilies, favor boxes, and tissue paper pom-poms. I always love the way the pom-poms look and had heard that they were easy to make - and they were! As I was making them I thought to myself, "I must be doing something wrong...this is just too easy", but alas, I did it right! Perfect decor for a breezy day! I followed THIS tutorial and this is how they came out...


I was so happy with the little birds I created for the invite (thankyouverymuch) that I decided to tie the graphic into the favor as well. With some glass baubles, glass glue, magnets, some fancy computer work and a bit of old fashioned crafting, I was able to create a cute little favor. Each gal went home with a little box with set of magnets inside. It was fun to make and the magnets are a fun reminder to keep our dear friend in our thoughts and prayers as they become a family of four.
Here's to DIY projects and to meeting this little boy in the next week or so!

15 comments:

Jay said...

ok, this is the cutest thing that I have EVER seen. You have outdone yourself. Well done!

Jay said...

By the way...this is Kristen posting as Jay...just in case you thought it was weird that Jay was going nuts for babyshower decor. :)

sarah said...

You are SO talented Miss Nini!

Stef said...

You did an amazing job, Nini! Wow.
I need to hang with a girl like you more often. I get so very overwhelmed when planning a party. I'm not creative {and I know it bothers people when I say that because they think everyone is creative, but I assure you, I am not.} NOR do I find joy in creativity. But I love the outcome that creativity brings, so I get a kick out of watching people like you do these things. I guess the weird thing is, I DO want to learn... but the desire isn't great enough :)
I just want to enjoy the outcome :)

Erin said...

You are so skilled with your invitation making. Wowzers Nini! That is cute!

Anonymous said...

wow, nini! you are verty talented! this looks all so perfect. i wish we were closer and i could learn from you.
kristin

Anonymous said...

very nice!!! big hug claudia

The 3 Tyrrells said...

you're *amazing!* hope you are well:)

Mrs. IbStarC said...

Um...LOVE!!!

Shelley Pimentel said...

Thank you again Nini (and Lisa) for SUCH a SPECIAL day. I LOVED it and I agree with what everyone has already posted... you are more creative and talented than you know! I love being your friend. I love you!

nic.design said...

hey Nini you have done a great job- wow,you are soooooo talented!
i would like to have you here or I live next to you, we miss you and we speak a lot from our holidays. I look often the pages from america for making a babyshower or birthdayspartys, I love the american way of that!

This year rebecca *will* have again a american birthdayparty... theme: princess, so i will make for each girl princess clothes, princess cupcake a nd a princess day!!!!!!!

only my invitationcars is not princess enought, maybye you...... :) hi hi hi

i made last year for here birthdayparty a few pompoms pink and lite green, so cute! and for us i made one with big and behind the pompom i put our light, now when i gets dark we have a nice light.

greetings from switzerland also to markus and the kids.

analise had made a great job in the art-gallerie, wow amazing say that to here, I'm so exaited about that what she can doo.
hug nicole

Stephanie said...

Great job on those pom-poms! I'm going to check out the link to that tutorial (thanks for sharing it).

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

teresa said...

wow, you're talented!! what a beautiful party.

Bonnie said...

Gorgeous, Nini! Such an classy looking shower. Nice work on the crafting!! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job! I love the invitation. I am in the early planning stage for my cousin's 2nd baby shower ( boy # 2) which will be held this August. This invitation is exactly what I am looking for. Do you take business orders? I could send you my email to discuss further. Thanks.