Sunday, April 3, 2011

:: Thirty Five ::

When I was younger I used to imagine what my life would be like when I was in my thirties. Here I am, circa 1984 sporting some fabby hair and amazing phone earrings. I wanted to be like Clair Huxtable when I grew up. I wanted to be a strong, successful lawyer (or business woman), a solid and reliable friend, a supportive and encouraging wife and a fun loving and devoted mom.
When I was younger, I had this idea that I would think differently, behave differently, feel different - somehow more accomplished, sophisticated, adult. I can't say that I feel much different than I did when I was turning 25 (aside from the normal aches and pains that come with having children and aging). Thankfully, I have grown in knowledge and wisdom. My dreams and aspirations have changed and morphed a bit, I have a husband and two children that are better than I ever could have imagined for myself, but I still feel younger in my heart and mind than my age declares me to be. Don't get me wrong, I don't think 35 is old at all. Shoot, I don't even consider 65 old anymore. And I'm not alone in this. I have spoken to people in their 50's, 60's, 70's and even some in their 90's that say that, in their hearts and minds, they feel and think the same way they did while in their 20's! I find that so fascinating!

Analise was VERY excited about my birthday. She declared that I "NEEDED to take a picture of myself so I would always remember what I looked like the day I turned 35". So, here I am at 35 - certainly not a lawyer like Mrs. Huxtable but hopefully, not too far off in the qualities I admired in her character either.

I got to spend most of the day with my favorite two little people. We made a Target run, played outside, and baked a cake that Analise picked out *just* for me.
As I mentioned, Analise had been waiting for my birthday all month. Every day she talked about the party she wanted to throw me and the cake she wanted me to have. So, while Jameson napped she and I baked together.
Confetti cake with pink vanilla frosting and sprinkles!
Jameson woke up from his nap just in time to lick the beaters. Did you ever do that when you were a kid?

My day was made extra special by all of the phone calls, Facebook messages, special deliveries of flowers and Peet's coffee (thank you so very much!), and a family dinner at my favorite restaurant in town, Cafe Cruz.

We topped the evening off with that very special cake!
The next evening I had the pleasure of dinner out with some of my very special girlfriends, who bless me daily.

So far, thirty five has been pretty great! Here's to the next 35 or more!

13 comments:

Sally said...

I love that Claire Huxtable is your childhood hero. I still hope to model a bit of their sitcom parenting style. :) Remember when they did the drinking game with tea after vanessa came home drunk? LOL. I own seasons 1-3 on DVD. :)

Happy B-day friend. That's one pinkalicious cake to start a new year on! :)

Anonymous said...

Ja, ich durfte auch immer die Mixerstäbe abschlecken. Was für eine glückliche Kindheit!
Kati

Stef said...

you look awesome at 35! I love that Analise wanted you to take a picture of yourself - great idea!
I'm glad to hear more people feel the same as I do - ageless. I look back to my 20's and I don't feel incredible different. Its not until I go back and read old journals that I see the change. Or look into a mirror ;-)

Happy Birthday!

Blessed said...

Happoy belated birthday Nini!

Erin said...

Hope you had a happy birthday neens! You were a cute little girl! Now WHERE did that curly hair come from?

btw, good choice on cake, analise. yummmmm

Nini said...

Thanks Erin! The curls came with puberty I suppose. The last perm I got was 1988 and it never went straight again :-)

Bonnie said...

Licking the beaters is probably one of my all time favorite childhood memories. Seriously. By far the best part of baking.

Happy Birthday Nini! You look fantastic at 35 & I'd say you definitely live up to all the attributes you had hoped you would when you were a kid. Hope this year ahead is absolutely wonderful for you!

Montana said...

Happy Birthday!! I love the special cake! And one is never too young or too old to lick the beaters. Evanie already asks to "yick it" whenever she sees the kitchen aid at work!!

How do you manage to look exactly like yourself as a little girl? I couldn't stop staring at the picture! :)
Carolyn

Ashley said...

LOVE IT!! You haven't changed a bit ;) Aside from the wavy hair, that is.

Stephanie said...

Such a cute picture from your childhood!

And - wow - that picture at 35. You look AWESOME. You must be running regularly? And what's the secret behind your flat stomach?

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Erin said...

Nini,
what a happy day! I love how Analise had things planed out for you. So sweet! Fun to see your kid picture. :)

Janelle said...

Congrats on 35! I have the big 3-0 coming in August and I am thrilled about it. Your right, something about aging is exciting. I hope that my opinion on that never changes.

You are a great inspiration. I admire you Nini! Happy belated Birthday!

paisley and lace said...

THIS is the life! Who could want anything else? Happy belated bday, beautiful lady :)