Tuesday, April 12, 2011

:: The Clock ::

I am not a morning person - at all. I can function quite well into the wee hours of the night, but I love my sleep in the morning. I am pretty sure that my deepest, most replenishing sleep comes between the hours of 5 and 7am - if I get to sleep that late. And this morning, for some unknown reason, I have been wide awake since 4:22am. My mind started racing and I couldn't shut if off and I couldn't force myself to sleep, so awake I am.

Just as I can't force myself to sleep, even when I really need and want to be sleeping, we can't force our kids to sleep either. For quite some time, my kids were notorious for waking up way too early, as in 5:45ish, every day. Yet they were still tired and needed more sleep. We tried to reason with them and let them know that we wanted them to sleep longer or at least play QUIETLY when they woke up rather that to start screaming, laughing, throwing things, banging on the walls and acting as if they were at a park at the crack of dawn, but it just wasn't working. And, while we can't make them sleep, we can help them start the day a bit later and on a better foot than they were.

Our remedy: the best clock ever! This has been one of the best purchases I have made in quite some time!
This clock is so fantastic and it is a great learning tool for the kids. Analise knows all of her numbers and Jameson knows some. The clock tells time with hands and digital numbers so they can learn to tell time both ways. There is also a setting that turns on the audio function. You can press one of the buttons on the feet and it will tell you what time it is (we keep this setting off for now).

The clock also has a nightlight function which you can set for any time. We have ours go on at 7:00pm and stay on until the morning.
The absolute *BEST* feature about this clock is that when you're ready for them to be up and about, or in our house, when it is okay to make a ruckus, the clock turns green!
And...it works! When we first got it, the kids were so excited to have their own clock. The next morning I heard them stirring around 6:30am or so. Jameson started talking loudly and I heard Analise say, "Jameson, you have to be quiet until the clock turns green." And wouldn't you know it, they were quiet and come 7:00am they both yelled at the exact same time, "THE CLOCK IS GREEN!"

And so it goes. Each morning the kids wait for the clock to turn green. It isn't always perfect. Some days they are up way too early, making way too much noise and we have to remind them, from outside their door, that the clock isn't green yet. Most evenings we remind them to try and sleep or be very quiet until the clock turns green. We've inched up the time slowly. Now the clock turns green at 7:30am. And I would say eight times out of ten, if for some amazing reason they aren't awake yet, come 7:30 the shouts permeate the house...

"THE CLOCK IS GREEN!"

11 comments:

P and J Garaway said...

agreed about the 5-7 am sleep.that clock is great-thanks for the tip!

Stef said...

that clock looks like just what we need!! I love that its helpful in teaching the kids how to tell time. I think it would help Rachel connect the pieces that Ethan so easily understands. Rachel is definitely my visual child. She needs to see, feel and watch. The would be perfect.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

try it with 8 in the morning, that would give you another extra hour in the morning.
i know what you are talking about....
kristin

Krista said...

This looks awesome! And sounds like what we need for quiet time/nap time. Our kids are pretty good about sleeping in to a normal time in the morning. But now it is quiet time and staying on the bed for more than 10 minutes. :P

Erin said...

We got this one, after your facebook mention of it. But, I am too retarded to set the nightlight & wake up light. I don't know what my problem is. Reading the manual is just too much for me. I have been trying to figure it, sans the instruction book.

Montana said...

That is genius! I'm pretty sure we will have to get this for Evanie and it will save my life! We're moving her into a big girl bed in the next month or so and I'm already aware of the potential struggle to keep her in bed in the morning! A green clock might just be what we need!

Janelle said...

Awesome! I am so glad you found something that works! That struggle is horrific!

Sally said...

Nini you're a genius. :)

Mrs IbStarC said...

Pure awesomeness. Why in the world didn't we think of this invention?!

Bonnie said...

This is genius! I may just have to get one to take to Thailand with us :)

Stephanie said...

A genius invention!

Our whole family wakes up around 8/8:30am these days so we wouldn't have use for it in this season of our lives, but I'm going to file it away in my mind for future reference. :)

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net