Tuesday, October 26, 2010

:: Big Choices ::

On Saturday the following conversation took place:

A: "Mom, remember that picture you took of Baby Ana in Austria?"
Me: "No, I don't know what picture you mean."
A: "You know. The one where we found her on the ground?"
Me: "Oh yes, I do remember. Why?" (Thinking to myself, 'how does she remember this stuff?')
A: "Well, I've been thinking, and I think we need to get her a stroller or a bed so she doesn't flop on the ground like that."
Me: "Well, when you have enough money saved up, we can go to the store and you can choose something for Baby Ana."
A: "I have money in my piggy bank. I want to buy Baby Ana something today."
Me: "Okay, let's go count it and see if there is enough to get something."
A: "I think there is enough because Baby Ana really shouldn't have to flop on the ground like that anymore!"

Analise has been saving money since she was given a piggy back at the ripe old age of 3 months. Okay, okay, we put the first dollar in there for her, but since then she has been collecting change whenever she can. Any time she sees a coin she asks if she can put it in her piggy bank. Just last week I was cleaning the house and she picked up a towel and started dusting -- completely unprompted and without any expectation of a return for her good work. I told her how thankful I was for her help and hard work and I gave her fifteen cents (aren't I a high roller). She was thrilled and said, "Wow! Thank you! LOOK JAMESON--I earned money! I have to put it in my piggy bank. We have to save money, not play with it!" (Maybe she does listen!)
We opened up the piggy bank and discovered that she had over $10.00. We took out ten dollars and put it in her little red purse before we headed out to Target. On the way we talked a lot about making good choices and how important it is to think through things, especially when it comes to spending money.

Once we got to the doll aisle we came across three things she REALLY wanted to get for Baby Ana. I let her take her time and choose what she wanted to get. At first it was a swing, then it was a stroller, and then a pack & play. She wavered between the swing and pack & play for about five minutes. Eventually she chose the swing and the following took place:

Me: "Are you sure this is the choice you want to make? If you choose this, your decision is final."
A: "Yes. I am sure! I choose the swing!"
Me: "Okay. Great job making a good choice."
A: "Wait. Maybe I should choose something else."
Me: "Analise, I don't want to go back and forth, once you make a choice you need to stick with it."
A: "I know, but if I am going to spend my money, it should be on something that Baby Ana really needs."

She decided that Baby Ana needed a pack & play more than a swing because Baby Ana can play in it and sleep right next to Analise's bed every night. With a smile on my face and a smile in my heart we headed back to the doll aisle and swapped out the swing for the pack & play. I wish I had my camera when she paid the clerk with her own money for something that she chose on her own. She was so proud of her choice!
She is a great mama to her Baby Ana...
...and I am so proud to be her mama!

9 comments:

thecolorplaid said...

oh my goodness she is SO CUTE!!!!!! what a total sweetie.

Stef said...

that's adorable, Nini! Wow. What a little sweet heart.
My girls got a kick out of seeing the crib all open with the doll in it. They've been admiring it at Target, in the packaging :)

Sally said...

That is such a great story. I love the part where she chooses what her baby needs, not what she wants. You're raising some great kiddos Nini. :)

Erin said...

How sweet! Good money saver!

Janelle said...

Oh gosh Nini, thats just too adorable not to comment! I love it! I hope that one day Kyleigh will be able to make the same decisions! Your doing a wonderful job momma!

Ashley said...

Oh! She is getting so grown up!! Annike will never be that old, I know it :) I am so happy to have Analise as a great example of a good choice-maker for Annike!!!

Steph said...

SO precious!!

Stephanie said...

You are a GREAT mom and an inspiration to us all. I can sense your kindness and your good-hearted sensibilities coming through every time you share a dialogue.

Thanks so much for being part of the blogosphere.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Anonymous said...

Oh, Nini, how sweeeet is this? It just melted my heart, deary! I so long for a daughter. Of course I ADORE my boys but I'd still love a little girl. She is precious. You should be proud of her.

Nell