Wednesday, December 23, 2009

:: Thursday's Recipe Rodeo ::

It's only Wednesday here but it's Thursday in some parts of the world, so I am posting a bit early. If you need to make a last minute dessert for a family gathering or want to make something 'Christmasy' for a friend before the holiday madness begins tomorrow, you can't go wrong with this recipe! Merry Christmas to you!!

Today's Round Up: Seasonal Sweets

I absolutely can't stand spending heaps of money on sweets, especially when I can do it on my own just as well, if not better. I absolutely LOVE chocolate and mint together. As I mentioned before, I don't consider myself much of a baker, or a candy maker, but I sure can make peppermint bark! It is inexpensive, EASY, amazingly delicious, and makes a great gift!! Mmmm...just writing about it makes me want to eat some now!

Peppermint Bark

* 16 ozs. dark chocolate, chips or bars (I use Ghirardelli 60% Cocoa Bittersweet Chocolate - available in most grocery store baking sections)
* 16 ozs. white chocolate, chips or bars (I use Ghirardelli or Nestle)
* 1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
* 6 candy canes
* parchment paper

Directions

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray. You may also use a silicone mat on a cookie sheet. Place candy canes in Ziploc bag and crush into small pieces with a meat tenderizer, rolling pin, or whatever you have on hand.

Melt dark chocolate in double boiler (I use a sauce pan with 2 inches of boiling water with a glass bowl sitting in pan-do not let water touch bowl). Add 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract once chocolate is melted smoothly. Once combined, spread dark chocolate onto cookie sheet and let cool completely. You may place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.

Melt white chocolate in double boiler/glass bowl. Add 1 tsp. peppermint extract to melted chocolate. Spread white chocolate over dark chocolate layer (if you spread too much they may run together - never fear, it still tastes amazing!) If you are chilling the dark chocolate in the fridge, simply use a paper towel to remove any moisture that may have collected on top while cooling. Once white chocolate is spread over dark chocolate, sprinkle crushed candy canes over entire surface. Press down lightly to ensure that larger chunks stick. Let cool completely (either on counter or in refrigerator) and then break into small pieces. Enjoy!!If you want to join in on your own blog, simply link back to this blog and mention that you are partaking in Thursday's Recipe Rodeo. If you don't have a blog and want to share a recipe with us - leave it in the comments!Click here for a printable version of Peppermint Bark

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Wish I would have seen this one earlier. I LOVE peppermint bark!I cheated and got some at Trader Joes :)