Sunday, December 19, 2010

:: He's Growin' Up ::

There is a recurring theme in the pictures below. Do you see it? Am I talking about the handsome little boy? The huge brown eyes? Perhaps I must be thinking of those delicious cheeks or ridiculously long eyelashes? Guess again...
If you guessed that I must be referring to the piece of plastic and silicone in his mouth, then you are right! This boy of mine loves loved his binky (also known to some as a pacifier, paci, mute button, dubba, etc.) Since three weeks of age he has kept his binkies close by - he was VERY attached to it - so attached that he always knew where each one was, at all times. For the past six months we only let him use it for nap time and bedtime, but he wouldn't even think of falling asleep without it. I could go on for quite some time to give you an idea of just how attached he was to his binkies, yet I will spare you. Let's just say that I thought it would take a LONG time to wean him from his binky, a major habit and source of comfort.I love looking at the pictures of him when he was smaller. This little man is growing up...faster than I would like. Just over a week ago we were doing our normal bedtime routine and when he asked for his binky Markus said, "Oh, you'll be fine without it." Just a few little protests and he fell asleep just fine. We couldn't believe it! Over the next few days he protested just a bit here and there (although none of the expected whines and tears), but he hasn't seen a binky for over a week now and he no longer asks for them. Without prepping him or making a big deal out of it, he is binky free...just like that! It was completely unplanned and he surprised us! Just one more thing to remind me that he is growing up.
This little man continues to amaze us! Every time I look at him I am struck by how he is growing into a fabulous little person. He is funny, tender, strong, curious, smart, loyal, friendly, and snuggly. He is a great singer, a jokester, a jumper, a great brother. He knows how to read all of his letters and some numbers. He speaks in full sentences and sings heaps of songs. He loves to help in the kitchen and eat meatballs. He is an avid lover of trucks, tractors, trains, airplanes and cars. He is all boy but isn't afraid to be seen in wings and tutu's (courtesy of his sister). He is thoughtful and caring. Wakes up at the crack of dawn, and sometimes before. Says please and thank you without being prompted. Kisses me throughout the day. Runs to the door to greet us when we have been out. These are the things I want to remember when the days are hard and when he is grown and on his own. He is our one and only son and he brings much joy to our days!

8 comments:

Erin said...

SO cute. I love the binky collage!
Peyton was the same way with his pacifier. I thought it was going to be awful to get him to give it up at bedtime. It only took a few mildly upsetting bedtimes & he was over it. I ended up being the more emotional one about the whole thing. Ha!

Stef said...

good job with the graduation from the paci!! I'm needing to "go there" with Kara and I just haven't yet :(
We pulled Rachel's before she turned 2, so I guess I've just gotten lazy.

He looks so big all of a sudden!

Janelle said...

Yea! What a big milestone that you didn't even have to struggle to accomplish. Shows that you guys are awesome parents and work hard to create a positive environment for those kiddos!

He is a smush Nini! Just too cute!



www.theopinionatedmama.com

Anonymous said...

congratulation- we still have the pink and blue binkies! lets hope it goes that easy! big boy- proud of you. tante kristin

Anonymous said...

hip hip hurra says oma heidi

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad that the transition was smooth + easy. I'm hoping for a similar one w/ my youngest (she sucks two of her fingers).

When is his birthday again? Remind me.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Steph said...

He is suuuuch a precious little guy!

Ashley said...

WOW... I am so inspired. Annike is pleased that you acknowledged the binky as a "dubba" :)