Thursday, September 23, 2010

:: Thursday's Recipe Rodeo ::

This is the place to get some new recipes or maybe even a twist on an old one. Feel free to take any recipe here and try it out. If you want to join in on the Recipe Rodeo, let me know! I would love to try some of your recipes too!

Today's Round Up: Dessert

The other day, out of the blue, Markus said, "I want carrot cake." I had never made a carrot cake before, so I thought I would give it a go. I had most of the ingredients on hand and only had to pick up a few things at the store. This recipe is adapted from one I found on AllRecipes.com. I wasn't too excited about the amount of oil that the recipe called for, so I substituted applesauce for some of it and changed some other ingredients as well. This cake came out moist, delicious, and it was the perfect treat to usher in my favorite season! Happy first day of Fall!

Carrot Cake

* 4 eggs
* 3/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup applesauce
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
* 3 cups grated carrots

* 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
* 8 ozs. cream cheese, softened
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan or two 9" rounds.

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, applesauce, white sugar, brown sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture. Stir in carrots. Pour into prepared pan(s).

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.

To make frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Slowly add confectioners' sugar to desired sweetness. Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake. Enjoy!
If you want to join in on your own blog, simply link back to this blog and mention that you are partaking in Thursday's Recipe Rodeo. If you don't have a blog and want to share a recipe with us - leave it in the comments!

5 comments:

big hair betty said...

I love cream cheese frosting! I would recommend even cutting back on the sugar, 2 cups seems like a lot! I've got a similar recipe for zucchini bread that calls for the 2 cups, but I'll use more like 2/3-3/4 c. of each and you can't tell the difference (well, my kids can't!).

Nini said...

Sara! Thanks for the ideas! The original recipe called for FOUR cups of sugar in the frosting! I can't even imagine how sweet it would be...oye! I agree that the cake would be just as good with less sugar too!

Sally said...

My sister halves the sugar in just about everything and we never even notice! :) It's funny that you posted this recipe today. I just had a piece of carrot cake tonight when we went out. :) Fall must put carrot cake on the brain!

Erin said...

Ooohh! Carrot Cake! Fall!!
I am making Apple Turnovers this week.
Then I want to make Pumpkin Cookies next week....

Stephanie said...

Isn't Allrecipes the best? It's my go-to site for menu ideas. In fact, I recently gave away almost all of my cookbooks...

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net