Thursday, April 22, 2010

:: Thursday's Recipe Rodeo ::

This is the place to get some new recipes or maybe even a twist on an old one. Feel free to take any recipe here and try it out. If you want to join in on the Recipe Rodeo, let me know! I would love to try some of your recipes too!

Today's Round Up: Salad

There have been countless times that I have ordered Chinese chicken salad in restaurants -- and I usually enjoy my meal. However, I have yet to have one better than Jo Mayeda's. Jo is my dear childhood friend, Meredith's mom. She stole my heart with her Chinese Chicken Salad recipe back in 1988 and I have yet to find one I like better. It is relatively simple, light and delicious! If you are planning on having some salad this week, why not try this one? You won't be sorry when you do!

Jo's Chinese Chicken Salad

Marinade:
* 1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
* 1 Tablespoon sherry
* 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
* 1 Tablespoon soy sauce (I use low sodium)
* 1 teaspoon dry mustard
* 2 - 3 chicken breasts

Dressing:
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* 2/3 Cup sugar, preferably superfine
* 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon soy sauce (I use low sodium)
* 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2/3 Cup unseasoned rice vinegar

* 2-3 Cups shredded lettuce (I use romaine or dark green leaf lettuce)
* 1/2 Cup chopped unsalted & roasted peanuts
* 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
* 2 Cups chow mein or won ton noodles

Directions

Combine marinade ingredients; rub on chicken breasts and place in Ziploc bag to marinate. Refrigerate chicken for 2 hours before roasting. Combine dressing ingredients until smooth, refrigerate until needed.

Roast chicken at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until done (when juices run clear). Cool and shred or cube chicken. Toss together 2 cups of chicken, lettuce, peanuts, sesame seeds, and chow mein noodles in a large bowl. Stir in dressing. You can add anything you like. I often add finely sliced red bell peppers, water chestnuts and/or jicama. Enjoy!

If you want to join in on your own blog, simply link back to this blog and mention that you are partaking in Thursday's Recipe Rodeo. If you don't have a blog and want to share a recipe with us - leave it in the comments!
Click here for a printable version of Jo's Chinese Chicken Salad

4 comments:

Sally said...

Yummo! I love variations on entree salads. Thanks!

Stef said...

this looks awesome! I have to confess, ever since Costco began carrying their deliciouso Chinese Chicken Salad... I've never made another one from scratch! Maybe I will and I'll use this one :)

lynn said...

yum! I am going to make this for my mom for our Mother's Day dinner tomorrow night. Oh, and I keep meaning to tell you that I made your chili awhile ago, and it turned out fab. Happy Mother's Day weekend Nini!

lynn said...

Just wanted to report that this recipe is GREAT. I paired it with vegetable egg rolls from Traders and a homemade dipping sauce. But back to the salad - YUM! Thanks Nini. I made extra and took it to the Foxes for dinner the next night. This will be a new regualar in our house!