Thursday, November 12, 2009

:: Thursday's Recipe Rodeo ::

This is the place to get some new recipes or maybe even a twist on an old one. Feel free to take any recipe here and use it as you please. If you want to join in on the Recipe Rodeo, let me know! I would love to try some of your recipes too!

Today's Round Up: Asian Fusion

I have never been successful in my attempts to cook Asian dishes. My stir fry always smells good and looks good, but there is always something lacking in flavor. When my friend Staci told me about this recipe of hers, I decided to give it shot. Let me tell you...this is BY FAR the best Asian dish I have ever made to date. It is easy, delicious, and quite good for you too! We are huge fans of broccoli in our house so this was a home run!

Stir-Fry Beef with Broccoli

* 1/2 cup water
* 1 Tbsp. (packed) golden brown sugar
* 6 Tbsp. oyster sauce*
* 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
* 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. sirloin steak cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, or pre-cut stir-fry meat
* 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 2 1/2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil, divided
* 4 cups broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
* 1 8-ounce yam (red-skinned sweet potato), peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
* 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
* 2 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
(* Available in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets.)

Directions

Stir first 4 ingredients in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Set sauce aside. Place beef in large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add cornstarch and toss to coat.

Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in large wok over high heat. Add beef mixture; stir-fry until no longer pink outside, about 3 minutes. Transfer beef mixture to medium bowl. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet. Add broccoli, yam, bell peppers and ginger. Toss to coat; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add sauce. Cover, reduce heat to medium-high, and cook until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add beef mixture. Toss until sauce coats beef, about 1 minute. Serve over steamed rice. ENJOY!

If you want to join in on your own blog, simply link back to this blog and mention that you are partaking in Thursday's Recipe Rodeo. If you don't have a blog and want to share a recipe with us - leave it in the comments!Click here for a printable version of Beef with Broccoli

1 comment:

Mrs. IbStarC said...

That looks awesome. Unfortunately, your brother doesn't do broccoli...so I won't be making it any time soon.
However, I finally made it to the store to get cream cheese so I can try LAST week's recipe tonight.
Also, I've decided that you should make YouTube video demonstrations while you are cooking, in addition to the blog. :)