Monday, March 23, 2009

:: Battle of the Bottle ::

This boy...will put just about anything in his mouth, including his feet...BUT...he WILL NOT take a bottle!

Here is the line up, in proper order, of all of the different bottles I have tried to give him. He took one bottle when he was 5 weeks old and since then, refuses--won't even put the things in his mouth. It is safe to say that since that one bottle at 5 weeks old, I have tried at least 3 times per week to get him to take a bottle. In the last three weeks, we have tried multiple times, every day. I have tried every trick in the book: trying when he is hungry, not hungry, taking the binky out and sneaking a bottle in (even the same brand bottle as his binky with the EXACT same shape), having Markus try, being out of the room, being out of the house. I have tried it all with the exception of starving him just to see if he will get desperate enough...that just isn't fair to him.While it isn't necessary to have him take a bottle, it sure would be nice to have a bit of freedom and not have to be home every three hours during the day. This bottle......is supposed to be the 'tried and true' bottle for babies that refuse all others...but alas...as much as I continue to try, Mr. J does not want anything to do with any kind of bottle. We will keep trying, but he is proving to have a strong will. Our next trick will be to have Renee give it a go tonight (she doesn't know this yet ;-)

8 comments:

Krista said...

I have a feeling I will have this problem with Elena... She wouldn't take a bottle when she was 6-8 weeks, and I haven't bothered trying since. :) I am so lazy! I should try and see what happens... good luck with Jameson!

Stef said...

haha! this is funny to me, since my daughter is starting to want ONLY a bottle. :(
Try the Born Free brand. Aside from being the best for them, its been the only bottles Rachel or Kara went for.

Jeff and Jen said...

I say give him a cup, Zoey has not had a bottle yet and she is eight months old and is drinking water froma cup without of course the spill proof thing that is and sometimes without a lid :)Good luck! Oh there's a;ways medicine droppers :)

Erin said...

Sorry! Peyton was a bear about the bottle, too. And, the Adiri was the one that finally worked for us. But, I think he was 7 mo. old.

Bonnie said...

Haha... isn't it crazy how the determination starts at such a young age!? Good luck with your bottle battle :) May the best man/woman win ;)

Tara said...

Being the expert on motherhood, I think imitation is the answer. Try modelling (or even having the respected older sis model) the desired behaviour. If others are doing it, he might just catch on. And I'm sure you've always wanted to try drinking from an imitation nipple anyway...am I right?

Anonymous said...

oma heidi says:like Markus in his early days. keep going and trying!!!

Jim Vander Linden said...

I didn't have this problem, however Kelly, my wife did. Our 2nd and 3rd NEVER took a bottle. I could never be left alone for more than a few hours. We tried everything the first time around with this, but gave up quite quick the 2nd time around, we never could get ourselves to try the starvation thing.

Jim