Wednesday, October 8, 2008

:: Lest You Be Fooled ::

I have been meaning to blog about this for quite some time, however it seems that when the time is appropriate to blog about it, I don't have the energy to do so.  

Quite a few people have commented that according to my blog, Analise must be the perfect child.  I post pictures of her smiling, playing, coloring...what a fantastic job I must be doing as a parent...and what an angel for a daughter I have.  I fear I have misled you!!  

Analise is a fantastic girl!  I love her so very much as she makes me smile, laugh, and feel warm and fuzzy inside.  Her mind and words amaze me daily.  There are so many wonderful qualities that she has and I often find myself thanking God for giving this child to me.  These are the times when I am excited to blog.  You can usually assume that when there is a lull in the blog entries, there are challenges in this house!

This child of mine is a joy, and she also has a VERY strong will.  Something that I DO appreciate, and KNOW that I will appreciate even more when she is older.  This strong will of hers often leads me to question whether or not I am doing right by her in the way that I work with her, discipline her, and try to help her become the best person she can be.  Am I making the right decisions with her?  Am I doing a good job as a mom?  How can I turn this strength of hers into a positive? Am I too strict with her?  There are days when I am exhausted, exasperated, and completely questioning whether or not I am even capable of parenting her properly.  

Many of you have seen her strong will in action...it can be quite comical...in hindsight.  So, in an effort to give you a more wholistic picture of Analise, here are some examples of her strong will in action.  Remember, I said it is pretty comical *after the fact*.

- There are days when she will want her own way, and not be getting it, and she will stand in front of me and scream at the top of her lungs, red faced, shaking with anger. Just screaming.  It doesn't work, but she does it nonetheless.  

- The other day Jessica was trying to get pictures of Analise and I with my prego tummy and Analise wanted to have NOTHING to do with it.  She kept running away yelling, "ride bike!  ride bike!".  Here is a picture Jessica took of me trying to have a 'picture moment' with my strong willed daugther!  Ha ha!
- About a month ago we went swimming at Renee's and while she didn't want to wear a life jacket, or be held in the pool by me, she wanted to swim in the deep end on her own.  The kid can't swim!

- Yesterday at lunch, she really wanted to eat chicken nuggets (which needed to be cooked).  As I was cooking them, she sat in her chair and yelled at me, "YUMMY NUGGETS!  YUMMY NUGGETS!"  over and over again.  She didn't care that I was telling her I was getting them ready for her and to be patient.  "YUMMY NUGGETS! YUMMY NUGGETS!" was all she would say...um...yell.

- Almost every time I pick up the phone, she decides to break all of the rules.  She breaks more rules while I am on the phone than any other time of day.

- This week, she started saying "MY water" "MY toys", etc.  Not too sure where she got it as we have tried to be careful not to use that word in relation with 'things', although she is saying it a LOT this week.  When I take something from her, or have something that she wants, I ask her to ask nicely and say 'please'.  This week, she is refusing to say please.  Instead she raises her voice at me and says, "SHARE MOMMA!".  

As I re-read these, it is impossible not to laugh!  These are just a few things that bring challenges to the day.  She has a mind of her own and she sure doesn't want any adults telling her it should be any different!   I am thankful for her strong will, however it is quite tiring at times.  Thankfully, God DOES know how much we can handle.  Her strong will often leads me to prayer, and right when I think I am 'done', she will do or say something that completely melts your heart and completely redeems herself.  For example, today she was being disobedient and I asked her why she was making poor choices.  She looked at me quizzically and after thinking for a moment just said, "I love you Momma, hug, kiss" and hugged and kissed me.

She really is a joy. 

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Great post. Your sweet girl reminds me a lot of mine.

She's very strong-willed too. But, now that she is almost 3, she is turning into quite the charmer. For example, yesterday, when she wanted something, instead of tantruming, she looked at me with big eyes and said "Mommy, you're PRETTY...can I have a popsicle?"

I think I am going to quite enjoy leaving the terrible two's behind us.

faithsalutes said...

ENJOY!

Stef said...

haha! this post made me laugh. I always get a kick out of people's comments on my blog. I've had a few people say "life just sounds like its perfect for you guys!" and I try to take it exactly as its stated and not read into it too much... but that's hard to do. :)
I'm not sure I'd want to read your blog if you constantly talked about the burdens in your life. I think its good to share the love and pride you take in your daughter and in your life in general. You don't sound fake... no worries. :)
So yeah. You didn't have me fooled. You just sound like a Mommy who's very much enjoying being a Mommy.

Sanders Family said...

As you know, my little bean was nothing but an angel in the first part of his life and only seemed to want to do whatever I wanted him to do, so it has been a bit of a shock to watch him as he develops his own personality. He laughs, he gets angry, his feelings are sometimes hurt, sometimes he is sad. All wonderful emotions to celebrate but tough to digest for a new mom. I celebrate that he has an opinion, and wants to show off, but I also struggle with learning how to discipline. I too wonder every day if the decisions that I am making are good ones. How can I be a good Mom when I am just leaning how to be a Mom at all. It is nice to know that we all go through these things together and that we are not alone in these feelings!!

Analise is such a beautiful little princess and I think that her spirit is what makes her such a joy (sometimes in hind sight! lol!