Thursday, January 6, 2011

:: Thursday's Recipe Rodeo ::

This is the place to get some new recipes or maybe even a twist on an old one. Feel free to take any recipe here and try it out. If you want to join in on the Recipe Rodeo, let me know! I would love to try some of your recipes too!

Today's Round Up: Light and Easy

I can't remember a time I ever craved burritos or tacos....until about three weeks ago. My friend Renee told me about a great recipe and since the first time I made it...I can't get enough! In fact, I made a big batch yesterday to put in the fridge so I can eat it for lunch as often as I want to. Renee and I have changed it a smidge from the original recipe. This is my new favorite thing to eat -- it is easy, delicious, contains just a few ingredients . And, added bonus, is quite low in Weight Watchers points (which you would never know by the flavor explosion in your mouth). I often times just eat it on it's own, no shell or tortilla.

Chili Beef Tacos (or Burritos)

* 2 Tablespoons chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 1 small onion, diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 pound lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
* one 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
* one 15 oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
* salt and pepper to taste
* taco shells or tortillas
* sour cream, cilantro, diced tomatoes, cheese (optional toppings)

Directions

Toast chili powder and cumin in a medium skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add oil to skillet and heat; add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add beef and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and black beans; cook 5 minutes more or until heated through. (I let it simmer for about 20 minutes to bring more depth to the flavors.)

To assemble, fill each taco shell or soft tortilla with 1/4 cup of beef mixture; top each with 1/2 tablespoon of sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon of cilantro. Enjoy!
Click here for photo credit

If you want to join in on your own blog, simply link back to this blog and mention that you are partaking in Thursday's Recipe Rodeo. If you don't have a blog and want to share a recipe with us - leave it in the comments!Click here for a printable version of Chili Beef Tacos (or Burritos)

1 comment:

The Nunnallys said...

These sound super yummy! Have you tried it with chicken?