Thursday, July 22, 2010

:: Thursday's Recipe Rodeo ::

This is the place to get some new recipes or maybe even a twist on an old one. Feel free to take any recipe here and try it out. If you want to join in on the Recipe Rodeo, let me know! I would love to try some of your recipes too!

Today's Round Up: Pasta

I tend to get in cooking ruts. I make the same things over and over again. That is part of the reason I started this recipe rodeo...to get inspired, to share recipes and get new ones! I decided to switch it up a bit and go into the archives -- some of our tried and true recipes that we haven't used in a while. As soon as I came across this recipe from Giada at Food Network I decided I needed to head to the local fish market and get some fresh clams and mussels. This is a quick, easy, and delicious recipe -- perfect for a warm summer evening and a glass of wine.

Concghilie (Seashell Pasta) with Clams and Mussels

* 1 pound concghilie (small shells) pasta
* 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets (about 4 Cups)
* 1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
* 1 pound small littleneck clams, scrubbed
* 1 pound mussels
* 1 Cup white wine
* 1/3 Cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the broccoli into the pasta water and continue cooking until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, and the broccoli is blanched, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain pasta and broccoli, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and saute for 3 minutes. Add the clams, mussels, and wine. Cook for 5 minutes, making sure all the shells have opened. Discard any shells that remain closed. Sprinkle with the parsley.

In a large bowl, toss together the pasta, broccoli, and shellfish. Add the reserved pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, to moisten. Toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately. Enjoy!If you want to join in on your own blog, simply link back to this blog and mention that you are partaking in Thursday's Recipe Rodeo. If you don't have a blog and want to share a recipe with us - leave it in the comments!Click here for a printable version of Concghilie with Clams and Mussels

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow, Nini! Clams & Mussels! I think I've made mussels once. They turned out really good. But, it's just out of my comfort zone, I guess.
I think Scott would like this dish a lot.