Wednesday, October 7, 2009

:: Thursday's Recipe Rodeo ::

Happy Thursday! This is a place to get some new recipes or maybe even a twist on an old one.

Today's Round Up: Cozy Cookin' made Easy

The other week one of my friends mentioned that she was making chili for dinner. I had never made chili before, however since our conversation I had been craving it. I did a bit of recipe searching on Recipezaar.com, and let's just say I hit the JACKPOT!! I found a recipe that had lots of great reviews...and tweaked it just a bit. They call it 'the best chili you will ever taste'. Since I changed it a bit to suit our taste buds, I will call it Jackpot Chili!

Jackpot Chili

* Vegetable oil
* 2 onions, diced
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 lbs ground beef
* 1 lbs beef stew steak (or sirloin), cut into small cubes
* 12 ozs. (1 can or bottle) of dark beer (I use Guinness)
* 1 Cup strong coffee (already brewed, liquid)
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
* 1 can (or approx. 14 ozs) beef broth
* 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
* 2 Tbsp. chili powder
* 1 Tbsp. cumin
* 1 tsp. oregano
* 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
* 1 tsp. coriander
* 1 tsp. salt
* 3 - 4 cans of kidney beans (I used 2 cans red, 1 can of white)

Directions

First off...don't scoff at the idea of dark beer, coffee and cocoa powder in the chili...it REALLY makes it amazing!

In large soup pot, heat oil and brown ground beef, steak, garlic and onions (approx. 8-10 minutes). You may need to drain off excess liquid, however I actually brown the ground beef in the soup pot and the sirloin is separate pan to speed up the process, then simply add the sirloin to the soup pot once ground beef is browned.) Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Once combined, add all spices and add 2 cans kidney beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add remaining kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

* You may also want to add chili peppers if you like it spicy.

Top with grated cheddar cheese and/or a dollop of sour cream and ENJOY!If you want to join in on your own blog, simply link back to this blog and mention that you are partaking in Thursday's Recipe Rodeo, let me know in the comments you are joining so we can visit your blog, or if you don't have a blog and want to share a recipe with us - leave it in the comments!Click here for a printable version of Jackpot Chili

6 comments:

Stephanie Tang said...

Hi Nini. Just added a recipe to my blog and made sure to link back to yours!! =-)

Montana said...

I'm intrigued. I'll definitely be trying this sometime in the blustery fall. In fact, i'd like a bowl right now.
carolyn

Erin said...

Nini! I just made chili, too.
http://adamshome.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-weve-bean-eating.html

Bethany said...

I made this chili a few nights ago but used ground turkey and chicken broth instead... and a little less beer because I ended up taking a few sips. :) Very yummy. Thanks!

Jan said...

You're so cool. Now I have another awesome recipe from you kitchen. YUM!

sarah said...

Ok, so I am totally going to try this, but yes, with the turkey and chicken broth! How I love you, Nini.