Thursday, September 10, 2009

:: Thursday's Recipe Rodeo ::

It's Thursday and you know what that means! This is a place to get some new recipes or maybe even a twist on an old one. Feel free to take any recipe here and use it as you please. I would love to know if you try any and what you think of them!

Today's Round Up: Slow Cookin' Goodness

I had a strange hankering for pulled pork sandwiches the other day so I found a recipe by Tyler Florence that looked good and I tweaked it to our liking - it is easy and delicious. We will be making this one a lot!

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Dry Rub:
* 3 Tbsp. paprika
* 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
* 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp. dry mustard
* 3 Tbsp. salt (I use Kosher)
* 1 (3-5 pound) pork roast (I use shoulder or Boston butt)

BBQ Sauce:
* 1 Cup cider vinegar
* 1/2 Cup yellow mustard and 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
* 1/2 Cup ketchup
* 1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 tsp. kosher salt
* 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
* 1/2 - 1 tsp. black pepper

Directions

Mix dry rub ingredients in small bowl and then rub the blend over the entire pork and place in refrigerator for at least one hour (or up to overnight - the longer it sits, the better the flavor). Spray crock pot with pan spray and cook pork on low for 7-8 hours.

While the pork is slow cooking, make the barbecue sauce. Combine the vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, salt, cayenne, and black pepper in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently, stirring, for 10 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Take it off the heat and let it sit until you're ready for it. *The longer you let it sit, the better the flavor becomes!

After 7-8 hours in crock pot, remove pork and place on cutting board. Pull pork apart (I use two forks). Once pork is pulled apart, put it all back into the crock pot. Pour all of previously prepared BBQ sauce over pulled pork, stir well so the pork is coated with the sauce. Cook on low for one more hour.

To serve, spoon the pulled pork mixture onto the bottom half of a hamburger bun or roll. Kaiser rolls are perfect for pulled pork sandwiches. Cole slaw is a perfect addition to your sandwich as well. ENJOY!If you want to join in on your own blog, simply link back to this blog and mention that you are partaking in Thursday's Recipe Rodeo, and if you don't have a blog and want to share a recipe with us, leave it in the comments!Click here for a printable version of BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

4 comments:

big hair betty said...

I've been waiting for this today! I was going to post my crock pot spaghetti sauce, but you inspired me to post our favorite bbq pork! I need to adapt it for the slow cooker, otherwise, it's kind of involved, but SUPER tasty!

Mrs. IbStarC said...

Please come cook dinner for me. I don't even have the energy to make a bowl of Cherrios tonight.

Sally said...

You say pork butt and I'm in... haha. Yes, I am 12 years old.

Hope said...

I tried this tonight. The recipe was linked to me by a mutual friend. A-mazing!!